Compare Fuel Costs
CNGnow.com has a fuel calculator that will let you compare the costs of fuel.
Click the following link and then follow the below directions: CNG Calculator
What you will need to use this CNG to Gasoline/Diesel cost comparison calculator:
- 1 CF (cubic foot) of natural gas = 1000 BTU's (British Thermal Units)
- 1 CCF (100 CF) of natural gas = 100,000 BTU's = 1 Therm
- 1 MCF (1000 CF) of natural gas = 1,000,000 BTU's
- 1 Gallon of Regular Gasoline = 125,000 BTU's or 1.25 Therms
- 1 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) = 128.2 CF
- 1 MCF = 7.8 GGE
To use this calculator you will need to know:
- The cost for a gallon of regular gasoline or diesel in your area
- The cost of 1 GGE of natural gas. Directions are noted below on how to arrive at this cost.
- An estimate to have your gasoline or diesel vehicle converted to gasoline/CNG or diesel/CNG bi-fuel to operate on both fuels. In PA we have seen estimates of $6,000 to $8,000. The cost is mostly driven by the size and shell makeup of the CNG fuel tank.
In a few simple steps you can use your current natural gas utility bill to convert what you are
paying for natural gas at your home or business to a gallon of gasoline equivalent (GGE)
price. With the GGE number you can type it into the line item of this calculator.
Look at your last natural gas bill and determine the number of therms you used
and what the total amount billed for those therms.
For our example it's determined 101 Therms of natural gas were used and the
total gas service bill (with taxes & fees) is $80.36.
Convert those Therms to BTUs: 101 Therms X 100,000 = 10.1 million BTUs
Convert BTUs to gallons of gasoline. Divide the number of BTUs used by
the number of BTUs in a gallon of gasoline. In this example we would divide
10,100,000 by 125,000 to get 80.8 gallons of gasoline equivalent (GGE).
Determine your gallon of gas equivalent (GGE) price per gallon. In this
example 80.8 gallons of gas equivalent cost $80.36 or $1.00 per gallon.